Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Wasatch 100 - A Pacers Perspective - by Josh Cole



An American Tail, Nathan Goes West. Wasatch 100 – A pacers perspective

I have known Nathan (N8) since we were about 14. Playing soccer year round was our thing then. I actually knew his wife before becoming friends with him. Like many, many others, I have been following his progress through the Grand Slam series, praying and nail biting the whole way. Fast forward many moons and both our families are in Park City, UT letting our kids run around like the wind. It was a little stressful for my wife, Candice and I because we have a 7 month old daughter, Erin, and 3 year old son, Jude. We managed to survive, minus a 24 hour stomach that thankfully only plagued Jude.

The day before the race flew by with a little site seeing then pre-race meeting / playground for the kids. Candice was super mom while she watched 3 toddlers and an infant so N8, Katy, and I could attend the meeting. How lucky I am to have a spouse that supports my crazy adventures and still tells me she loves me at the end of the day! After the meeting, we all went back to our room and picked up another Grand Slammer, Joshua Holmes. Candice promptly started making her famous homemade fried chicken and Katy got the sides together: mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, and some tasty rolls. What a nice southern meal before the expedition began. After supper, there was about an hour left to let the kids get their shenanigans out before the 8 pm bedtime.

Race day: Seeing that the 5am start was ~1 hour away, I decided to sleep in since Katy and Dennis were going to the start. I ate a big breakfast and enjoyed a nice cup of coffee. Dennis, Mary, Katy, Candice, and I all chatted while the kids were keeping themselves entertained. Before we knew it, it was time to see Nathan at Big Mountain aid station (AS), mile 39. I was nervous and excited all at the same time. I had run my first 50 mile race almost 10 months prior in December 2014, then another 50 miler 3 weeks after that. Chattanooga Mountains Stage race in June that ran 60 miles over 3 days, and multiple 20ish mile runs over the next couple of months. I felt somewhat confident that I could “run” the last 60 miles with him, at least in theory.

After I drank my hospital approved strawberry Ensure and ate a banana, Katy, Dennis, and I drove over to Little Dell Reservoir to wait until we got the ok (due to limited parking) to head up to Big Mtn AS. There was not one cloud in the sky and it was super windy, so that made it hard to know exactly how hot it was. While we waited on N8, Katy talked to me about what to look and listen for when he isn't feeling good. I started getting very nervous then; what did I get myself into? 60 miles, ~15,000' of gain and loss... was I ready for that? Maybe if he was feeling good, I could stop at mile 75 (36 miles for me). I had also been suffering from plantar fasciitis (mainly on my left foot) on/off since the 2nd 50 miler. I rolled my feet with a golf ball all week and put some super oil my wife made on my feet.

We saw N8 coming down the hill to the AS, I ran over to him and asked how he was doing, “Threw up at mile 33.” And he looked very tired. Fittle sticks... I walked him through the aid station over to Dennis and Katy. He excused himself to talk to the port-a-king... Katy talked to him and he said he wanted to change his pack so he can carry more water. Katy got him a blue popsicle, rubbed some zofran on his arms, we donned some sleeves and jimbo bandanas, stuffed them with ice, and off we go.
Providing shade when there wasn't any
Big Mtn AS to Alexander Ridge AS (46.8 mi): My goal was to get him to recover and not just survive like he did in the previous three 100 milers. I had complete confidence we could do it. Take it slow. “I just want him to have a good race, enjoy himself, and smile,” Katy told me multiple times. I could help make that happen...! Thick brush and some rolling hills covered most of the terrain as we made our way to Bald Mtn. What a view! It had been about 30 minutes since we left the aid station, no throwing up for N8, he was sipping water and coke, even some jogging. Looking good! 45 minutes with no throwing up, awesome! We had a steady thing going, then he had to make a pit stop... made it 1 hour with no throwing up... Tried to give him some silence for a bit because I know he gets mad at himself for not being able to keep stuff down. I took that time to make sure I was keeping up with my nutrition (mainly Perpetum and Honey Stinger chews at this point).
          
Making our way down Bald Mtn was what I expected to see in big mountain running. Big, rolling ridges and very open. It was pretty cool to see other runners a few miles up and down the ridges. Then, another pit stop... dang it! All our ice had melted, it was hot being totally exposed even in the wind! N8 wanted to sit down for a minute... not a good idea, pit stop. Back to making our way down the ridge and still no shade. “About 2 miles to the next aid, and more ice!” I told him, trying to lift his spirits. Praying for him to keep food or liquid down. I felt bad for eating my chews because it made noise when I got them out of the package...

Finally, the AS! I told him I would get his pack and refill it with water and coke. He said he was getting a blue popsicle and sitting down. I ate some glorious, cold watermelon and almost everything else they had (pretzels, grapes, M&M's). Got our packs filled and stuffed the bandanas with more ice then head over to N8, he looks exhausted! ...pit stop in the chair, dang it! I was failing at helping him recover. I put the icy bandana around his neck and off we went.
View from Bald Mtn

Coming down Bald Mtn
Alexander Ridge to Lambs Canyon (52.48 mi): After a slight down hill, we had around a mile of running through a grassy field. It felt very nice with a slight breeze and ice cold water running down our back. I continued to try to stick to my nutrition of Perpetum and chews.

The valley gave way to a thick forest and quick/steep climb. We started our descent to Lambs Canyon AS. We were moving now, probably a solid 10min/mile pace. Felt good to stretch the legs. ...pit stop... Guess the increase in speed was too taxing on his gut. I have to give it to him, after every time he threw up, he immediately started drinking water. I would only have to remind him every 10 minutes or so to drink, but he did really awesome trying to get rehydrated with the quickness. The sun started to disappear as we continued our descent. He told me when he got to the aid station he wanted to change his shoes, socks, shirt and lay down for a quick nap. I talked him into taking a zofran, hoping that it would start to kick in by the time he got there.

           
We were about a mile out when I told him I would run ahead to tell Katy and Dennis his plan. I found Katy and informed her what he wanted. She told me where they had parked the car so I could go tell Dennis. Dennis was already walking towards the AS so I talked to him for a minute and told him how N8 was feeling. Then N8 popped out of nowhere... without Katy; guess they missed each other. Dennis took him to the car while I searched around for Katy. We hurried back to the car... another pit stop, shoot! Katy helped him change and get warm in the car so he could “nap.” The three of us started getting everything ready for some night running. Dennis made sure to put an extra head lamp and the Nao backup battery in our packs; he thinks of everything!

I ran to the aid station to satisfy my inner goat and proceeded to eat almost everything they had (watermelon! Oreos, chicken broth and noodles, chips... I'm never like this during a run, I will enjoy it while it lasts). I took a warm cup of chicken broth back for N8 when he woke up. About 45 minutes after he laid down, he started getting cold. Another pit stop or two... “I just need to get going, I'll warm up when I get to moving,” I believe I heard him tell Katy. He seemed very dizzy and TIRED! Dennis gave him a stern “pep” talk and I could tell Katy was upset with how he looked. “I won't let anything happen to him,” I told her as I gave her a hug.

Lambs Canyon to Upper Big Water AS (60.95): Katy walked with us for about 20 yards. We had about 2000' of climbing over ~3.5 miles. Around 2 miles of that was on a paved road. We used that time to let N8 get down some mountain dew. “It's going down easy,” he told me. Awesome! Haven't heard those words about any nutrition in about 6 hours. We started hearing someone yelling, I turn to see a couple of head lamps about 50 yards behind us. That runner and pacer must be having a good conversation, I thought to myself. Then I heard someone yelling “Jason.” We stop and turn around. “Josh, Nathan!” It was Katy. We had gone maybe around a mile or more so I didn't expect to see her. I felt so bad, because she was running. She told Nathan that she was very worried about him and if he wasn't feeling better in 30 minutes, then I was to turn him around and he would be dropping. Nathan lead a prayer asking that he or I would know if he needed to quit, the strength to carry on, and for all the other runners. Such an emotional time! With another long embrace and kiss, Katy sent N8 off to run through the night.

After a LONG and steep climb, we crested another mountain. No pit stops going on another hour or so. Things were looking good. The climb warmed us up quite a bit and the breeze was nowhere to be found in the trees. I shed my sleeves and we slowed down for N8 to take off his jacket and put it in his pack. He still had tights on over his shorts and wanted to take them off. That meant taking his shoes off, which meant sitting down, that meant risking puking... We tired the make a it a quick process... not quick enough... pit stop.

We could see some city lights during the long and steep descent. I continued to drink my Perpetuem and snacked on some beef jerky. We reached the bottom of the ridge and immediately started a 1000' climb. “Aid station in couple miles, slow and steady. Focus on just sipping that water and coke.”

This was the first time I've run all through the night, I cannot recall much in between these sections. I do remember filling my 7 oz flask MULTIPLE times for N8 with cold river water for him to douse his face. It was quite chilly already and that was keeping him awake. I remember turning off our head lamps and looking up at the millions of stars! We worked our way up a paved service road and started to see lights to the aid station! He was just going to grab some mountain dew, ice, and head up the trail. I had to work quick. I fumbled around the aid station with semi-frozen hands trying to get his pack refilled. Now, to get mine refilled... “What do you have hot to eat?” I asked. “Grilled cheese,” “Um, no... any noodles/broth?” “Yes!” “Bring it on!” With both our packs filled, and warm broth in my hands, off I went. Runners had to check in and out of each aid station, so as I was leaving, I told them I was with runner 167. “You're about 10 minutes behind.” Dang it!

Upper Big Water to Desolation AS (66.02): I settle into a nice jog since I was trying to scarf down some broth and noodles while holding his pack and trekking poles... trekking poles, where are the trekking poles... Crap, back at the aid station. I had made it a couple hundred yards up a big climb and had to turn around... At least the guys checking runners out got a good laugh at me for that... I had to laugh a little too, what else could I do. Back on track, I see a puke pile next to a tree, hope that's not his.

I finally catch up to him. “Did you throw up?” “Yeah, mountain dew didn't sit good.” Well Richard... Another big climb... We chatted about lots of past events in high school, our kids, job stuff, listened to other's conversations. I bet this forest would be beautiful during the day. We pop out into a field containing a small aid station. They had a nice fire, but we had no time to enjoy it. I quickly scarfed down half a banana and peanut M&M's. No coke, very limited supplies; we were in some back country.

Desolation AS to Scotts Peak AS (69.94): “Just over 3 miles to the next aid, we got that easy.” A short climb and we were atop a ridge with some fantastic views over Park City, Brighton, and Salt Lake City.  We settled into a nice run/jog down a gravel service road. We start to see a bright light in the distance, “That's the aid.” Time seems to go by a little faster and “running” seems a little easier when there is more human interaction. This AS had more selection of nutrition. I ask N8 what he wants, “I don't know, I'll look.” I gorge myself on most everything; most of the time in between AS, I was drinking water, Perpetum, chews, and beef jerky here and there. I ate a couple slices of oranges. “Feel like some oranges?” I ask N8, “I'll try some.” Back in the saddle again.

Scotts Peak to Brighton AS (74.63): N8 told me the oranges were quite delightful and went down easy. Awesome, maybe things are looking up. I stop for a pee break, then catch back up with him. “Have you peed in a while?” He told me no, so I start hounding him a bit more about water even though I feel like he has been doing really good. “You have to pee by the next aid.”

This section went by a little quicker too. We saw many military personnel, maybe reserve, doing middle of the night/early morning hikes. We said hello to all of them. From the gravel service road, we popped out onto a paved road that goes up/down the mountain. As we are crossing through the gate, a man asks us, “Which way does the race go?” I'm thinking to myself, sir, its 5am in the morning, we're doing good to keep our feet in front of us, don't ask us questions like that... I believe he was talking about the Big Cottonwood road marathon. We passed MANY school buses with loads of runner going up to the start.

This road was seriously hurting my feet, they felt like pimples ready to explode! N8 stopped to pee, didn't look very concentrated either, God sure has his hand on him! He has been throwing up on/off for over 12 hours and ~35 miles, how is he even remotely hydrated. God is good all the time! I start asking him what he wants at the next aid. He rattles off: pack change, plain water to mix perpetrum, coke... maybe he told me a shirt too... He had also told me a slushy earlier, which I sent Katy a text, hoping she may have gotten it. Off I go, “running” like the wind. My feet hurt, I want to quit. I know I can push myself.

I get to the AS and start searching for Katy. Can't find her anywhere, crap. I run back out side, they were running up the steps! We go back inside and I start rattling off what all N8 wants. Candice woke up early so she could see us, what an awesome wife! I steal a glorious kiss then down a strawberry Ensure, that sure hit the spot! I try to hurry and change my socks because my feet are throbbing! I drench my feet in some of Candice's magic oil and put on some new socks, what a wonderful feeling! I look over to see N8 throwing up the slushy they got him... he said it was too sweet. BUT I am happy to say, that was the last time he threw up! He did drink some sweat tea that seemed to agree with him though. Another embrace from the wives and pep talk from Dennis, then off we went again.


Brighton to Ant Knolls AS (79.14): This section would bring us the sun rise and the highest peak in the race. The sunrise hitting the rocks was quite spectacular!
This may have been my favorite section. I am a morning person and love seeing the array of colors that manifest during the sunrise. I remember telling N8, “God's timing has been perfect for this race, we made it to Lambs Canyon and our headlamps just before sun down. Now, we get to see the sun rise on the highest peak.” What an inspiration. The decent was very steep and lots of loose rocks. N8 must be starting to feel good, he's pushing the pace. Wish my feet didn't hurt so much... wait they don't hurt right now! I love my wife's magic oil! We arrived to a nicely stocked AS. I helped myself to some watermelon and other fixens. They were awesome at this AS. Music playing, very lively and helpful! N8 was killing some OJ. Off we went.


Ant Knolls to Pole Line Pass AS (82.31): Right out of the bag we had a serious 600' climb called the grunt... No fun, but I made jokes about grunting which I think helped pass the time. We held a steady climb, no lolly-gagging. N8 was feeling good... or ready to be finished! This section was only 3 miles; these shorter sections made it much less daunting. It was starting to smell like a Waffle House, was I getting that delusional... We arrived at the AS to find them making breakfast burritos! Wow... too bad I couldn't stomach that right now; we had a mission, get finished! N8 was getting his bandana filled with ice, so I spotted a sausage link that looked enticing, YUM! Stuffed my mouth with some cantaloupe and filled my bandana with ice. N8 was asking for more OJ, they didn't have any... More water, ice, and coke then.

Pole Line Pass to Station North AS (87.28): A gradual decent gave way to more of a wash out trail with steep sides, very awkward running. We made our way to another service road and the sun beating down on us. We had a gradual climb to a more frequented service road. We heard some hoodlums in the distance racing up and down the road. We stuck to the side for fear they would top a hill and clip us.   Rounding a corner, we spotted the aid station, and a climb right after... “Are we going to climb that?” N8 asked. “It's suppose to be all down hill from here.” He looked at the tattooed map (given out a packet pick up) on his arm. “Looks like all down hill...”

All the aid stations up until this point were great... The two guys “working” seemed uninterested in carrying on a conversation or acknowledging our questions... Although they did fill up N8's water bottles and bandana with ice. Maybe they were just tired. Ate a handful of grapes, pretzels, refilled with water, ice, and mountain dew and bid our farewells.

Station North to Decker Canyon AS (93.89): We climbed the small, daunting hill, and worked our way around the totally exposed service road; it was starting to warm up! We settled into running the flats and descents to what felt like forever! We saw an aid station down the ridge to our left... we kept running away from it. “Are we going the right way?” We kept seeing markers... We were both ready for some shade and more ice, ours was melting fast! Running further and further away from the last AS before the finish, we started to die a little on the inside.
          
 Finally a switch back down to a road with about 4-5 cars parked. “Maybe this is just a water station.” Nope, it was the last 'pacer exhange point' at mile 91.7. I thought to myself, “I wonder if Dennis and Katy are there, I could get a ride back to the finish. My feet were starting to hurt again, my legs were thrashed and N8 was running better; he could finish the last 9 miles, no problem. ...No, I'm his pacer and am going to finish with him!” A nice man gave N8 some ice cold water and ice from his cooler. I told him I was fine until the next AS. Behold, another steep climb... steep decent... steep climb... relentless. I remember telling N8 that they should rename the race, the Wastach Hill Monster!

Now we were running a steady downhill... every single step hurt my feet. Just kept telling myself, one step at a time. Push the pain below. We ran through a gate and were now dodging cow patties left and right. I told N8, “One more aid station then its homeward bound!” We arrived at the AS and were greeted with warm smiles, it was so lovely to see. There was a nice lady who rubbed sun block on my reddened face from 4 hours of direct sun. N8 wanted only water and lots of ice. He had been eating ice since the night/early morning. We stuffed a couple pieces of oranges into our bellies and off we went.

Decker Canyon to Finish (99.66): “One last push, we got this!” Little did I know, N8 would be pushing me more to the finish. We saw a huge reservoir, hoping to be able to run close enough to it so we could submerge ourselves and get away from the heat. N8 said he would kill for another iced tea like he had had at Brighton AS. I told him he should take an iced tea bath, what a glorious post race celebration. We had been running for about 30 minutes on a big rolling gravel trail. Every time we crested a hill or rounded a corner, we were hopeful of seeing the finish. I learned A LOT about him this last section. I told him he wins races because he can push himself so hard, especially at the finish! All I wanted to do was lay down or walk, here we were running about a 10/min pace, crazy kid! He pulled me to the finish when I was supposed to be pushing him.

We saw a man and asked how much further, “about 0.75 mile to the road and then 0.5 mile to finish.” What were we waiting on! Even though N8 was able to push me even harder, I left my lungs about 5 miles back. How was I even breathing right now? We made it to the road. “I can see it, we run to those flags” he told me. My head was throbbing, heart pounding, legs crying, how was I running right now? I would be lying if I didn't get a little emotional and had a tear in my eye for N8. I thought about the past couple of months, how much he struggled and grew closer to God and learned to trust Him. What a privilege it was to run the past 60 miles and finish of the Grand Slam with my best friend! I was holding back a waterfall... we had made it!

Post run: I hobbled over to my wife, gave her a sweaty kiss, apologized for my stench and face planted on the grass. It felt so good. After a shower, Candice “made” me get a massage. It was painfully delightful. I think because of this was actually able to “walk” the next day. Immediately after the race, I had another ice cold ensure and a hamburger. I felt a little nauseous after but it was worth it, I didn't throw up. I am thankful that my wife and family came with me so I could kiss her and hold them at the finish! 





1 comment: